Lately, I have been struggling with a lot of projects. I want to make sure that my concepts come across adequately, but I am not sure how far I need to push various techniques to do so. Some people say that less is more. Others say go to the extreme and really push the idea.
These may seem like good suggestions, but what if I like the way an image or piece looks when it is in the middle? I feel like when I go to the extreme, the result is too complicated and cluttered for me. When I hold back or try the minimalist approach, it feels empty or inadequate. I keep finding myself "finishing" a piece and then wondering if others will catch on.
So I suppose the question I really want to put out there is:
How much is enough?
Intent
As a future art educator, it is important to consider the various aspects of teaching and their implications. Teaching different subjects in different manners can have an impact on our students.
It is also important for educators to explore and practice the subjects they are teaching their students. If one cannot interpret and contemplate the subject themselves, how can they instruct others to do so?
This site is intended to contain my reflections on education, art, mathematics, and life as an educator. Hopefully, my thoughts and works will inspire others to think about these subjects as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Paige!
ReplyDeleteSo, while we're waiting for the next person to present, I'm just creeping on your posts :)
I just wanted to comment that I think the middle is a good place to be - if you lay everything out there for the viewer, it leaves them nothing to interpret, and I think they will then get bored with it. Yet, if you don't show any conceptual focus, the work itself is not focused. So I would stay right where you are, in the middle, for better or worse :)