Yesterday I had the opportunity to travel to Chicago with my school and attend the Art Expo. This was a really interesting thing to experience. It exposed me to a different side of the art world that I am not sure I am so terribly fond of.
I am a college student, and I was under the impression that this was not that fancy of an affair. However, when I arrived I noticed that many of the individuals were dressed very well and seemed very important. They treated me otherwise, with my high school shirt and my backpack on. There were several cases when I walked into a gallery space and the people inside automatically went silent and stared at me.
There was even a point when I was talking to my friend about a piece and the woman running the space yelled at us that the sculpture was beautiful. I was not aware that I was talking about the piece in a way that stated otherwise. I was shocked that my interest in the object was not noticed and I wasn't even given the chance to say how interested I was in it.
Now, don't get me wrong. There were several very nice individuals who talked to me as a peer. I even got to participate in an art project as a model for Keliy Anderson-Staley. You can see her works here. That was a fantastic experience.
[*edit*] Here is the image that was taken of me by Keliy Anderson-Staley!
It was also really great to be exposed to so many works by so many artists in such a short period of time. My views of what art can be have been pushed to their limits and my understanding of the art world has been changed drastically.
We will see where this experience takes me in my future.
Intent
As a future art educator, it is important to consider the various aspects of teaching and their implications. Teaching different subjects in different manners can have an impact on our students.
It is also important for educators to explore and practice the subjects they are teaching their students. If one cannot interpret and contemplate the subject themselves, how can they instruct others to do so?
This site is intended to contain my reflections on education, art, mathematics, and life as an educator. Hopefully, my thoughts and works will inspire others to think about these subjects as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment